How much do you know about English language assessment? Join our workshop and learn from the British Council’s English language assessment expert.
The workshop will be beneficial to English language teachers and assessors who would like to have some formal knowledge of language testing. These participants may have experience in designing class tests or in preparing students for tests.
Dr Victoria Clark is currently the British Council Assessment Development Manager for East Asia. She holds two Master’s degrees, one in Applied Languages and the other in TEFL, and has received her PhD in Applied Linguistics from the University of Reading, England. Her field of expertise is the assessment of English as a second/foreign language. She has published several books on GEPT test preparation and has presented in conferences in many parts of the world. She worked as an EFL teacher and teacher trainer before specialising in language assessment. Her research interests include performance-based testing, teaching and assessing writing, validity of speaking tests, and task complexity.
The workshop aims:
- to offer a brief history of language testing
- to introduce a model of language ability to explain what language ability/proficiency is
- to review different types of tests and testing
- to introduce some key principles in language assessment
- to compare/contrast different English language tests available
- to show an example of a quality test
- to explain how scores are reported using the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) proficiency scale
- to present the test development process
After the workshop, participants will have:
- an understanding of the relatively new field of language testing
- an understanding of a current view on what language ability constitutes
- an awareness of different ‘types’ of tests and formats and their advantages and disadvantages
- degree of understanding of key concepts in language assessment
- an understanding of what constitutes a ‘good’ test
- an awareness of how assessment theory can be applied in practice
- an understanding of proficiency scales and differences in levels
- an understanding of the different steps in developing tests
- an interest in learning more!
|09 May 2017, Tuesday||Sta. Maria Function Room, 5th floor Discovery Suites, ADB Avenue, Ortigas Centre, Pasig City (map)||Php 5,000.00|