Working through the Newton Agham Programme, the British Council and the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) are pleased to offer Newton PhD Scholarships.
The aim of the CHED Newton PhD Scholarships is to facilitate the capacity building of individuals, and the building of sustainable, long-lasting links between the UK and the Philippines.
The programme is jointly funded by the Newton Agham Programme and the Commission on Higher Education and offers full-time PhD scholarships for Filipino researchers at a UK higher education institution from January 2018 until March 2021.
The April 2017 call for applications is now open, more information can be found below.
The Universities UK International is running a bespoke support service for British Council Newton Fund applicants. For Newton PhD Programme applicants, please click here.
If you would like to receive email alerts when calls for opportunities go live in the Philippines, please click here.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- provide opportunities for international training and development at the doctoral level;
- develop international joint training pathways;
- support knowledge transfer of the UK approach to PhD training and skills development to the Philippines; and
- support the production of highly-trained researchers in the Philippines with international experience.
For an applicant to be considered for the CHED Newton PhD Scholarship, the applicant must:
- be a Filipino citizen and must be in the first five years of their research career (measured from date when applicant obtained Master’s degree);
- be a faculty or staff member of a Philippine higher education institution;
- have a Master’s degree;
- be in good health condition, as certified by licenced medical doctor;
- National Bureau of Investigation clearance fit for international travel; and
- pass all screening procedures, including a formal letter of acceptance to a PhD programme in a UK university.
16.00 UK time 13 June 2017.
How to apply
Download and read fully the Guidelines document from the Downloads section below.
Complete the online application form here. A Word Docx version of the application form is available from the Downloads section below. This is intended to give applicants knowledge of the questions in the online application form only, and cannot be used to submit an application.
Additionally, applicants will be asked to submit the following documents as part of the documentary requirements of the CHED Scholarship. MS Word files of the documents listed are available from the Downloads section below. These must be submitted to CHED via email, FAO Sebastian Felipe Bundoc, firstname.lastname@example.org, by the application deadline.
- Letter of reference
- CHED application form
- Re-entry plan
- Work and financial plan
For enquiries, please fill in this form.
For CHED-related enquiries, please contact Sebastian Felipe Bundoc, International Relations Officer: email@example.com