IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the world’s most popular English Language proficiency test, with 2.5 million tests taken in 2014.
Taking IELTS opens doors – it can help you live, study and work around the world. IELTS is recognised by over 9000 organisations worldwide, including schools, universities, employers, immigration authorities and professional bodies. In fact, IELTS is the only English language test accepted for immigration purposes by all countries that require one.
The IELTS is designed to help you use English in your new life abroad. In less than three hours, it will assess all of your English skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking.
The most effective way of testing your English conversation skills is face-to-face. IELTS is the most widely accepted English language test with a one-on-one speaking test to assess your English language communication skills.
Designed by experts in English language assessment and trusted around the world, you can be sure that IELTS will give a fair and consistent assessment of your English skills.
On 22 May, the UK Home Office issued guidance on secure English language test (SELT) providers. We encourage you to check the full text and FAQ here.
If you are applying for a visa to move to or remain in the UK, there’s an IELTS test for you. You can find more information in our IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration section.
Why take IELTS with the British Council?
The British Council has more than 75 years’ experience teaching and testing English. We have helped people in more than 130 countries gain English language qualifications that help them make the most of their chances in life. That’s a lot of experience, and it means that if you take an English language test with us, you can be confident that you’ll be well looked after.
Here are just a few reasons why millions of people have taken IELTS with the British Council:
- Expert support: from videos and books to online interactive courses, you have access to the best preparation materials to help you do well in your test
- Free resources: Road to IELTS is the British Council’s popular online preparation course. When you register for an IELTS test with us you also get access to up to 30 hours of free training
- Convenient dates and locations: three times a month exam schedule and administered in over 20 locations nationwide
- Fast results: we guarantee you will be able to see your results online 13 calendar days after your test date from 10 a.m. onwards
- Special arrangements: your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any disability or special needs that you may have. Find out more about how we can facilitate your special arrangements. Please note, you will need a medical certificate issued within the last two years at the time of registration