Call for Expression of Interest: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Lead for the GOJUST II Programme
Kindly read the Terms of Reference attached to know more about the role.
|Six months with possibility of extension
|Thursday 30 November 2023
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Lead will lead the development and implementation of the Justice Sector Reform Programme: Governance in Justice (GOJUST) II MEL strategy and plan, which will deliver a robust evidence base on the results and impact achieved by the Programme.
Leadership and Overall Accountability
- Ensuring the successful development and implementation of the MEL strategy and workplan of GOJUST II, ensuring client, corporate and programme standards are fully met.
- Overseeing and quality assurance of the delivery of all GOJUST II MEL activities.
- Ensuring MEL activities are accurately costed, and related budgets are managed effectively.
- Staying informed on MEL related developments and being proactive in adapting relevant changes, ensuring that GOJUST II MEL work is at the forefront of best practice.
- Developing a thorough understanding of the British Council and EU reporting evidence frameworks.
The anticipated key duties of the MEL Lead are as follows:
MEL strategy and operational plans
- Support the iterative development of a programme-wide MEL strategy, operational plan and budget for GOJUST II.
- Lead the implementation of the GOJUST II MEL strategy and workplan, specifically to monitor the programme’s delivery against its stated outputs and outcomes.
- Ensure coherence between MEL strategies of GOJUST II and its partners. Make sure that results are transferrable from individual partner to the aggregated total at programme level.
- Strengthen the qualitative aspects of GOJUST II MEL work, in alignment with the approved strategy, to deepen engagement and increase overall impact.
- Support TAT, non-key expert consultants and relevant UNOPS colleagues to further MEL objectives
- Prepare detailed terms of reference, evaluate proponent firms, and oversee the conduct of all evaluations and be responsible for contract management
- Identify and commission technical assistance requirements for ongoing support to the MEL function; and oversee any external partners commissioned to provide evaluation and learning inputs to GOJUST II.
- Lead on developing innovative monitoring and learning activities and approaches
- Oversee MEL activities at the national level, selected ‘pilot’ areas, and specific project localities to track results throughout the programme life-cycle.
- Support the facilitation of learning sessions for technical teams and partners.
- Support external evaluation exercises, conducted by the European Delegation and the British Council, including assisting the programme team to prepare adequately for any external evaluation.
- Perform such other tasks as may be necessary to ensure the efficient and effective implementation of the MEL plan.
MEL systems and tools development
- Oversee the development and implementation of the GOJUST II database management system and related tools, ensuring coherence between the system, monitoring reports, evaluations and research.
- Develop and integrate components into MEL tools to effectively capture gender equality, social inclusion and other related data.
- Conduct regular analysis and produce reports on programme progress against stated targets.
- Support the identification and commissioning of GOJUST II baseline(s) against outputs and outcomes, and lead on routine monitoring against established baselines.
Knowledge and data management
- Lead the knowledge management process of the programme, ensuring that programme data is reliably captured, disaggregated appropriately, stored securely and analysed robustly for presenting evidence about GOJUST II’s achievements.
- Working with relevant colleagues, ensure the EU and other important partners and stakeholders, including the British Council, have appropriate access to lessons learned from GOJUST II, based on clear evidence.
- Locate, assemble and manage a collection of appropriate and relevant resources on good practice in and evidence from similar programmes globally, with particular emphasis on evidence gathered from programme reviews and evaluations.
- Contribute to the promotion of a dynamic learning culture within GOJUST II (and the British Council) by delivering and facilitating a regular series of learning events & initiatives.
- Continually update own professional knowledge of good practice in MEL, with particular reference to the justice sector.
- Lead on collation and documentation of results, achievements and lessons and, in conjunction with relevant colleagues, support the reporting and dissemination of outputs, outcomes and impacts of GOJUST II interventions, with due consideration for diverse audiences.
- Contribute significantly to the delivery of GOJUST II annual reporting to the EU and internal quarterly reporting, including MEL write-ups analysing data submitted by partners, in coordination with the Communications Officer (UNOPS).
- Draft write-ups on success stories of the project..
- Coordinate with the GOJUST communications office on the dissemination of success stories and lessons learned.
- Prepare result area and programme level operations monitoring report and outcomes reports and advice the TAT on performance issues that require management attention and action.
- Lead on building the MEL capacity of the GOJUST II team and partner organisations, including the conduct of training and orientation on the MEL plan.
- Specific responsibility for building MEL skills with direct line staff and project management staff.
- Strengthen the MEL capacity of GOJUST II’s delivery partners and grantees, which may include both state and non-state actors, ensuring that partners are able to credibly and systematically measure and report their results to GOJUST II.
- Undertake regular monitoring trips to ensure the quality of monitoring and reporting from partner organisations, and to support the promotion of a culture of mutual learning with them.
- Report progress on key deliverables regularly and on request to the immediate line manager in GOJUST 2, sharing with other team members as appropriate.
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders and partners which enhance programme delivery, ensuring the programme acts on feedback from the client, target groups and partners.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with the MEL Managers of other relevant programmes, particularly EU and justice programmes.
- Provide timely information about the results of GOJUST II to British Council colleagues who have responsibility for reporting on all British Council activity.
How to apply
Send the following to Lalaine.Alfaro@britishcouncil.org by 30 November 2023; 11:59 PM Philippines time.
- Cover Letter
- Pricing Approach (please use the template attached)